Sometimes we need to write to the civil archives in Italy requesting information about our ancestor. Below you will find a number of basic letters that you are welcome to copy and use. Many of the people that I have helped with their Anglo Italian research have used these free Italian translations with excellent results. I always suggest that you enclose a small amount of money to cover the cost of copies and postage however you are not obliged to do so. If you have any doubts as to where you need to write please visit the Anglo Italian Genealogy page. http://angloitaliangenresearch.blogspot.com/ I also have a concise list of books on Italian Genealogy which covers numerous countries. http://italiangenealogybooks.blogspot.com/

Please feel free to link to this page so that others can make use of it.

Friday 22 January 2010

Requesting "Registro di Leva" from Italy


Letter to the State archives of the Comune your family came from requesting military records


This can be an extremely interesting document; I actually received a response about my Grandfather's "Leva" via email although I was asked to send a very small sum of money for the look up. It actually stated that he had not done his military service at the age of 21, he was classed as having deserted but he did return to Italy in the WW1 to comply with the Italian law. It went on to give exactly where he had been serving during the two years that he was enlisted. A large amount of the Italian emigrants that left Italy before they were 18 did not return to do their conscription and therefore would be classed as "deserters".

This letter has to be sent to the State archives of the Comune where you believe the person you are researching originated from, if you receive a negative reply you could then try the Ufficio di Anagrafe at the local council.

As always a request for the costs of them sending you the certificate (3) is mentioned but you can enclose around 10 Euros and use (4) please take out the one you don’t wish to use.


Egregio Direttore or Gentile Direttrice to a woman if known.

Sono alla ricerca della mia storia famigliare, gradirei, se le fosse possibile, richiedere il suo aiuto.

Per favore, mi potrebbe spedire i registro di leva di (full name).............. figlio di (fathers name)..................., nato il (full date or year) ……………….. in questa comune.


(3) Vi prego di volermi comunicare l'ammontare dovuto per spese e postali nonché specificare il metodo di pagamento da voi
preferito.

Or

(4) Alla presente accludo 10 euros, nel casa questa somma non fosse sufficiente, Vi prego di fami sapere quanto ancora ve devo.

Se il documento non può essere trovato, Le sarei grata se potesse suggerirmi come e dove proseguire la mia ricerca.


Le invio i miei piu' sinceri e cordiali saluti.

SIGN

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Translation:


Dear Director:

I am trying to complete the history of my family and I would appreciate your help.

Can you please supply me with the details of the conscription record for (ancestors full name)................. Son of (father’s name).................. born (full date if possible or year)................. in this commune.

(3)Please let me know how much I owe you for any cost incurred and how you would like me to send the money.

Or

(4)I enclose 10 € for the expenses occurred, if this is insufficient please let me know and I will send the total sum as soon as possible

If any documentacion cannot be found I would be grateful if you could suggest how and where my research could be pursued.

Yours sincerely


*
I hope that you receive a response to these free Italian translations, do let me know by leaving a comment.

1 comment:

Joanne Schiavoni said...

I want to thank you for providing this information to us Anglo-phones. Using your translations I have received my grandfather and his brothers birth certificates, and my grandfather's military records. I also used your letter to regular persons to contact family with the same name and have received one response so far. No link, but they have indicated they will speak to someone else in the town that may know my branch of the family. I am pleased beyond belief and thank you again for providing this for Italian genealogy research in Italy.